The Official Google Video Blog - Showcasing cool new videos from across the web and keeping you current with latest news from Google Video

Behind the Video: The World Championship of Illegal Pencil Fighting

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 3/15/2006 11:00:00 AM

Have you ever watched a DVD and when it was over, popped in that extra disk that contained "Special Features" such as an interview with the director? Consider this "Behind the Video" segment that extra disk and revel in this personal interview with the creator of the video "The World Championship of Illegal Pencil Fighting".



The World Championship of Illegal Pencil Fighting
Writer/Director: David Meyer

1) Why did you make this video?

"A friend called and asked me to do a short video for an 'open mic night' where local musicians, artists, etc. would be performing. The video would be shown between acts as a little humorous intermission.

After my friend called me, I laid down on the couch to take a nap. When I woke up, I started thinking about petty crimes, the criminal underground, and how pencil fighting was usually forbidden at elementary school (you'd have to conceal it behind the seats on the school bus). I thought about how vicious pencil fighting is in the real world, and I felt like it was my duty to make people aware of it, for both safety and entertainment purposes."

2) Who should watch it?

"People should watch it. Also pencils, so that they'll learn an important lesson."

3) Money, fame, power - which do you hope this video brings?

"Awareness of this issue and how outlawing it only makes it more prevalent. The elementary school principals just don't get it. Pencil fighting has such potential to be exploited by capitalism. It's an unrealized jackpot that The Man hasn't tapped into. Wait, actually, I don't want The Man to tap into it.......nevermind, I hope this video remains secret!"

4) What's next (from you, the video creator)?

"Another nap. Jason Bourne says that 'rest is a weapon' and he is right: it is a creating-obscure-short videos weapon."